In search of a better seach

I am deeply disappointed about the progress of search engines. It looks like Google, MSN and Yahoo are focusing on sexier applications such as local search, desktop search, map search and QnA. I don’t see any major innovation in the "regular" searches anymore.

Search results are mostly the same, with the same degree of irrelevance. How I miss the old days.

Some new technologies are on the rise, however, quite at infant stage. Social network (SNS) based search holds great potential. Who does not want to know what the peers are searching and reading. P2P search is just an different incarnation of the SNS search, and Its scope looks quite limited due to "copyright" restrictions.

The other area I am interested in the intention based search, where the search engines try to guess what the users want from their actions. Ajax will be a great tool for this. Imagine, I do a google search for "seach engine", Whether I click on any search result and what I click on will dynamically change the next set of results being shown to me. That’s what I like to call innovation.

No comments: